Celebrating the Journey of Every Gymnast - Meet Abby!
Written by Madison Melancon
Written by Madison Melancon
Not one person’s journey is the same in life - or gymnastics! Some start with Mommy & Me classes while others jump right into developmental classes. The best part about this is that each journey is a cause for celebration! ✨
As we are celebrating the Games, where the top athletes in the sport represent our country and always make us proud, Destira is celebrating every gymnast’s journey. During our Celebrate YOU-S-A Fundraiser, where $5 of every sold is donated to our non-profit partner Girls Leadership, we met up with different gymnasts to learn their journey. Meet Abby - a Level 5 gymnast from Portland, Oregon! She shares how gymnastics has led to her building her confidence both in and out of the gym.
After the video shoot, we asked Abby a little more about her gymnastics journey. See what she had to say below!
- What are your favorite memories of your experience shooting with Destira?
- My favorite experience while shooting with Destira was being able to show all different kinds of skills on all four events. They made sure I was comfortable and at ease, as well as made sure my safety came first, since my usual coach wasn’t there. I didn’t feel rushed at all, and it was super cool to see the shots from the camera!
- What is your favorite part of being a gymnast?
- My favorite part about being a gymnast might just have to be the community here. Though you could say it’s more of an individual sport than a team sport, the bonds you build at gymnastics are much different from anywhere else. I love talking to my coach and teammates not only about life, but also how to become a better gymnast. It’s an atmosphere where you only want the best for each other, and love to see one another improve. I would not still be doing gymnastics if it weren’t for those who surround me in the gym!
- What is your favorite gymnastics event and why?
- My favorite event in gymnastics is floor, and has been ever since I started. I’ve always had a lot of power, so it came easier to me than all of the other events. I love learning new tumbling passes and combinations! Not to mention being able to show off my artistry through the choreography within the floor routines. It’s a powerful, but also pretty event!
- What skill are you most proud of?
- The skill I’m most proud of would probably have to be my flyaway on bars. It took me a very long time to get over my fear, but once I threw it, the skill became very easy for me. It took me a lot of hard work and bravery to finally get it!
- What is your dream skill to master?
- My dream skill to master is my back full twist on floor! Twisting is super fun, and I think once you have that pass solid, it would be really fun to do over and over again. It's just a tumbling pass that looks super clean if you have the right execution.
- Why did you start gymnastics?
- I started gymnastics because I used to watch it on YouTube all the time when I was younger. Rather than watching high level Olympians, I watched other little girls doing gymnastics. I had tried to copy my other friends and do ballet, but it wasn’t the right fit for me. So my mom signed me up and I’ve been doing it ever since!
- What is your favorite gymnastics memory?
- My favorite gymnastics memory is just the times when I’ve had a really good practice. Hitting on each event for a day is really satisfying. Or the times that I laugh really hard with my friends and coach, it always lifts my mood. And my teammates are some of the funniest people I know.
- Who is your biggest inspiration?
- My biggest inspiration is Kyla Ross! She had an amazing elite and collegiate career, and seeing all the things she’s achieved really inspires me. She’s such a consistent gymnast, and I would like to have that asset of hers.
- If you could name a new skill, what would you name it?
- If I could name a skill, I would name it “Flurry”. I think it has a good ring to it.
We know your determination, perseverance, and confidence is going to take you far, Abby! 🏆 Just know that the Destira Team is always cheering you on! 📣