As we get ready for the Summer Games we’re celebrating the journey of every gymnast — Not just their highest highs, but also the practice and commitment and failure and trying again that’s lead them to where they are today. 🎉
We know every girl is a superstar in the gym, including Leslie! Leslie joined the Destira team recently as a part of our Celebrate YOU-S-A Fundraiser. After a great day of shooting the video, we asked Leslie a few questions about her gymnastics career. See what she has to say below!
- What are your favorite memories of your experience shooting with Destira?
- I loved that I could share my skills, it was a little nerve wracking, but the Destira team was so nice and helped me through the nerves.
- What is your favorite part of being a gymnast?
- Learning new skills and moving up in levels. I love that feeling of working real hard for a skill then when you get it... it’s a great feeling.
- What is your favorite gymnastics event and why?
- Bars, I love bars, I get to fly. I’m also really strong, so bars sometimes come easy, so I get to do big skills.
- What skill are you most proud of?
- My full. I kept over rotating, wasn’t sure if I was going to get it, but I did! And on the floor within the same week.
- What is your dream skill to master?
- A double back dismount off bars.
- Why did you start gymnastics?
- My mom said I had a lot of energy and I was grossly flexible. She put me in gymnastics when I was young and I didn’t want to leave. It starred as a class to get my energy out and turned into my most favorite thing.
- What is your favorite gymnastics memory?
- Taking 1st on bars and Floor at state for level 5, and taking 2nd on Bars and 4th Overall at Regionals this past season as a level 7. It was bittersweet, I really wanted first and just missed it... excited for next year!
- Who is your biggest inspiration?
- My mom. She always makes sure I have what I need. She is my biggest fan. She does a lot, my older sister is special needs, and I have a 3 year old sister, but she makes sure I get to practice and to all my meets. She also was a college athlete, so I know she knows what she’s talking about, even when I don’t want to listen. I love her, and I love that she always tries to keep me positive even when I’m hard on myself.
- If you could name a new skill, what would you name it?
- The Leslie, not sure what that would look like, but how cool would that be?