When can I take my face mask off?Keep your mask on until you are back in your own space — outside away from others, or back in your home or car. Put the mask directly into the laundry basket if you can. Clean your mask after each use.
How should I take off a face mask?
Take care when removing your face mask to avoid transferring any contaminants from the front the mask onto your hands.
- Wash your hands or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol.
- Don’t touch the front of the mask or your face.
- Remove your mask by grasping the straps.
- Fold the mask so that the front of the mask is on the inside of the bundle.
- Clean your hands again.
How should I wash my reusable cotton face mask?
- Cotton masks like Destira’s can be washed in your regular laundry using hot water.
- We recommend washing them inside a mesh garment bag to extend the life of your mask by reducing wear in the washing machine.
- You can also hand-wash cotton masks using hot, soapy water. Scrub the mask for at least twenty seconds before rinsing thoroughly.
- After washing either in a machine or by hand, tumble dry them in the dryer on a high setting.
- To extend the life of the elastic straps, hang your masks to dry, then iron the fabric on high, careful to avoid the elastic, thus getting the sanitizing benefits of heat while protecting the straps.
- Store clean masks in a clean place when you are not using them.
How many face masks should I own?
- The number of masks you should own depends on how often you need to wear a mask, as well as how often you’re doing laundry.
- You should own at least two reusable face masks: one to wash and one to wear.
- We sell our masks in packs of three for a little bit more of a buffer, to wash less or to keep one in your car or bag, so you have a spare (like an emergency snack!) when you’re on the go.